Blog Archive

6.07.2010

Triathlon Fever


I feel extremely bored sitting at my desk with nothing to do the day after the triathlon. I know better. I know that I could be swimming with the fishies or flying down a mountain at 40mph on a skinny bike screaming "DAHHHHHHHH", or running through a quiant fishing village with stunningly clear toquoise water. I think I have a case of triathlon fever. 

Before the race I was deeling with the "feeling a bit too casual" jitters. Here, people don't even casually go for a jog around the block. But all in all is was TOPS. I was high for hours after. In fact I might still be high.

Some higlights of the race:
~Tiny Japanese women trying to ride me like I'm a freaking whale at Sea World during the swimming portion.
~My swim cap...a duck. Never underestimate the Japanese appreciation for cute things. It is very powerful.
~The course: I literally went from being in the sea to on top of a mountain overlooking the sea all the way to China. Twice.
~The spectators: Little ancient village women in their gardening getup (read full on sun protection with bonnets) cheering us on. From their expressions, I think they got the same kick out of me as I did out of them.
~The oldest competitor: A 77 year old man. Baller. Should I feel proud that I beat this man? (I was the second yougest, by 10 years! The 13 year old didn't even break a sweat)
~My competition: Japan's Iron Man athletes. (The Iron Man race was cancelled this year because of foot and mouth disease. It is THE Iron Man and it is held on the island to the south of me, so a few came here instead.) This took the pressure off us regular folk, aka me.
~And the winners: a HOT couple that knew they were the shiz and had matching gear, from sunglasses to shoes. (in Japan couples like to match) I like to imagine they order the same drinks, have matching his and hers sport toothbrushes, and viciously compete for everything.

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing Kell in so many ways.... I can't believe you did this. An Amazing accomplishment in a far away land. Luv mom

    ReplyDelete