Blog Archive

6.17.2010

This insect is CRAZY!

When I came back from the bathroom a teacher was spraying a rather GIANT looking wasp thing behind my desk. The other teachers were standing outside the room, so I asked if it was the type of bug that stings and hurts. They said, "No hurt, You DIE! YOU DIE!"

When I came to Japan people told me about the poisonous centipede, the mucade!, and the posionous snake, the mamushi! but no one ever told me about this bad ass hornet, the most poisonous hornet in all of Asia, the one that each year in Japan causes more deaths than "all other venomous and non-venomous wild animals combined, including wild bears and venomous snakes!"

I did some research (wikipedia, national geographic) and this is the most fascinating insect I have ever come across!

It can fly 25mph. That is faster than the legal speed limit of my scooter!
It can decapitate 40 honeybees per minute, a few can wipe out a 30,000 bee colony in hours!
These honeybees defense is a trap in which thousands of them make the hornet overheat by luring it inside the hive and then they flap their wings until it gets to 115 degrees!
The venom can dissolve human tissue and has an enzyme which attracts more hornets to the victim!
and
"They are excellent mothers"   ...?

And then I read this..."Adult hornets feed their young by chewing the flesh of their victims into a gooey paste that the offspring devour. The larvae are well fed, and in turn provide the adults with a powerful energy-boosting cocktail in their saliva. It's called vespa amino acid mixture, or VAAM."

AND WHAT DID I DRINK LAST NIGHT... why a energy drink someone gave me: 




No comments:

Post a Comment