Blog Archive

5.18.2010

The dark side of Japanese

I’ve come to really appreciate Japanese, but there are hours when Japanese sounds horrible to me. It grows claws that scrape along the blackboard until it gets to me and then  slaps me in the face, repeatedly until I leave the room and start over.

I think these Nihongo demons exist when people all start talking together over something seemingly important for a long period of time. The conversation rages on, holding me besieged by its gathering emotion and urgency, not to mention my unfortunate desk location in the middle of the staff room. The only words friendly to understanding are emphasis words and “don’t you agree?!” words. Those are mocking words.

*Also, Japanese sounds really awful when it is co-workers snorting up flem all day long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment