Blog Archive

11.11.2009

Another Japan Day

Sometimes I will have a day and think “this is all so Japan.” And that is the only way I know how to describe it.

Last weekend, all JETs in Nagasaki prefecture had to meet for the mid-year conference. This was flawed, as we have only had 2 months of school, its hardly mid-year, and the information would have been much better served at orientation, a good three months ago. I saw it as one big support group for those that have been looking up from their desks and finding that the entire staff room is empty; for those that are standing in the back of the classroom listening to the tape recorder, rather than standing in the front acting like one; and for those that have been thinking nobody likes them, only to receive demands for everlasting friendships at mandatory work drinking parties.

I could get angry of course. There are far too many of us left wondering what is going on and why are we alone, when there is actually an assembly, or worse – fire drill... And I am tired of hearing “every situation is different” because they really mean “it sucks that you are stuck with work that could be easily completed by a well enough trained monkey, but some people actually get to do things, so we can never tell how its going to work out, sorry” But then there are some perks…

Not knowing what is going on and then finding out can be really entertaining. Today I asked why all the teachers were arming themselves with long poles, sticks, and brooms and charging down the hall. It was an intruder drill, no less. Not knowing what is going on and realizing you might never find out can also be really entertaining. For example, there have been a lot of “announcements” lately. The voice of a very serious Japanese man echoes over the entire island, and sometimes I translate in my head… “Attention townspeople, a Terradactyl has escaped the 3 Quadrant and is headed northwest over the wild boar mountains. Please keep the children inside.” One day I really hope it's a Stegosaurus. Or “Attention townspeople, Good morning, it is time to wake up. I am having fish for breakfast. Its cold outside, isn’t it. I mean really cold. There is great wind today. Yes I think so. Please keep that in mind.” Not knowing what is being said and having someone translate can also be great. Today, according to my assistant, a second grader asked me what kind of man I like.

This is all so Japan. It demands a tricky balance of persistent questioning and going with the flow, leaving me somewhere on a scale from highly amused to resentfully frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment